Nothing to claim here, move along.
[Final Update: All five players have cleared waivers.]
According to Newsday's Arthur Staple and the Post's Brett Cyrgalis [update: now confirmed by the team], five New York Islanders will be
hitting exposed to waivers today: Tomas Marcinko, Trevor Frischmon, Tim Wallace, Ty Wishart and Dylan Reese.
None of those are a surprise except possibly Wishart, who was acquired for Dwayne Roloson last winter and played well down the final stretch of 2010-11. You'd have to think a position was there for the taking for Wishart, but at least in the small sample of a couple preseason games he did not grab it. Still, Wishart becomes one of the more interesting names to hit the waiver wire league-wide.
Meanwhile, despite last night's contrasts this doesn't necessarily mean that youngsters like Matt Donovan or Calvin De Haan have leapt Wishart: Those guys do not require waivers, Wishart does. More will become clear as they divide up into separate groups for the rest of camp. It does make you figure a Steve Staios signing is imminent.
If they clear they'll be Bridgeport-bound at the start of the season, but of course Staple notes that the teams are in a combined camp right now anyway.
- More on last night from TSN: Flames earn victory over young Islanders lineup [TSN]
- Note: The Highlights clip (including Gillies hit) from last night has been added to our recap post.
- NYI FYI with Steve Staios: NYI FYI: Steve Staios Hopeful to Make Team
- On the Islanders power play: Putting the power in power play - New York Islanders
- Is the Islanders schedule soft? [FanShot discussion here]
- Neat bit on Kirill Kabanov. [FanShot to Botta post]
- The official site talks with David Ullstrom about avoiding the sophomore slump, getting a shot to make the team.
- The story of the laughably predictable Coliseum task force at a stalemate: Coliseum task force can't agree on plan. [FanShot here]
My favorite quote from the Coliseum piece:
"It should come as no surprise that at the end of the day there is no overall consensus on direction," Eidler said. The announcement came just hours after Hempstead Town Attorney David Levy asked to be removed from the task force, saying the group's mission had "morphed" from advising Mangano on an RFP to issuing a plan of its own.
Nassau politics for the win!
The Day in Suspensions and non-Suspensions:
- NHL: No punishment for Wayne Simmonds after alleged slur - Puck Daddy
- Neil hit on Grabovski - Leafs vs. Sens (Sept 27,2011) - YouTube
- JF Jacques Suspension Video: Holy crap, Shanny's not fooling around!
- Shanahan says public shouldn't be so critical of predecessor Campbell - ESPN
- How does Jody Shelley's suspension impact the roster? - Broad Street Hockey
- Great piece: Shanahan Getting Discipline Right | Houses of the Hockey | theScore.com