So since we brought this up a few times during discussions, I thought it would be appropriate to get a quick plus/minus interactive going. You guys know what to do, so lets get the first reactions of the game in plus/minus form.
+ Nabakov, "held his ground" and played a solid game for the first two periods only letting in the one beautiful goal by Glencross in which all the Islander players were staring at Stajan. Aside from his Adventures, I thought he looked up to par and not too rusty all things considering. I think he has a point to prove.
+ de Haan and Donovan both played relatively well throughout the game. You could clearly see some poised movement and puck control from the both of them. Donovan had one good rush where he skated through what seemed the entire team. He led the breakout a bunch and exited the zone well.
+ Mikko did not let in 6 goals and did look a bit more in control and poised. Though one period, who knows.
+ They did hold a veteran laden team to only 2 goals.
+ Dibo is an annoying kid and really does get under guys skin, also had a few opportunities and some good zone entries.
- There was almost no offense for the entire game except for a few spurts.
- Comeau almost invisible, though he did not really disappoint and almost completed a COZO before Calgary forced his hand.
- Strome and Kabanov really needed a better veteran on that line to anchor it, they seemed overwhelmed and lost at times. A few nice plays, defensively sound, but no flash. Shove JT on that line and they all get hattricks.
+ Ullstrom played well overall, though playing with his AHL mates against NHL vets was evident.
- Pandolfo and Staios are slow, real slow and a liability.
+ The Stache, if only for just that one hit in the beginning of the game and that opening F zone play with Stromboli and kalashnikov.
- I am not sure why they flew all the way out to Calgary for one day to play this preseason game and not really bring any vets and expect more. I am guessing they just wanted to see if they could play the system and work on small things on the ice. Made for an extremely boring game, in which I figured they would lose from the get go. Though Calgary really did not help the cause.
I guess we lost Jurcina somewhere in there and I really did not see Rhett in the third at all.