So many other teams have gotten in on the fun, it's time for the New York Islanders to get their preseason kicks, too.
It starts tonight with a lighter squad in Boston, before tomorrow night's lone true "home" preseason game at Nassau Coliseum.
Coach Jack Capuano is sending the right "anyone can make the team" message to the youngsters, but the intrigue (standard preseason caveats apply) in tonight's lineup probably lies in whether P.A. Parenteau can elevate the Josh Bailey-Blake Comeau combo, and whether Rick DiPietro shows revived form (or whether North American rookie Anders Nilsson trumps him the way he trumped Mikko Koskinen in the rookie games).
- Speaking of having a chance, Calvin de Haan was written up in Newsday concerning his attempt to make the team, and how the standard for impressing just rises each year and at each level.
- Meanwhile, looks like Isles fans are buying up ticket packages.
- Don't believe the headline -- this Dobber writer actually knows about the Frans prophecies.
- Honoring Mark Streit, making Swiss hockey history: Streit sets milestone for Swiss [IIHF]
- Jack Hillen in Predators camp: Preds On The Glass: Jack Hillen: Looking for a Shot at the Stanley Cup and also: Smashville 24/7: Conversation with Jack Hillen
- Bryan Trottier, your new Delta Tau Chi name is ... Ring Pig.
- LATE ADDITIONS: Streit credits the Habs for giving him his shot | AMac is back (at practice) | P.A. Parenteau talks growing up in his Road to the Coliseum
For the record, here are the expected -- but not official -- combos and lineup as listed by the official site:
The official site also speculates on possible Bruins lines tonight in what is a home game for them.
This is the mindset of Rick DiPietro in September 2011:
"As bad as it was being injured, it really gives you an opportunity to sit back and realize how lucky you are," DiPietro said. "Every time I get a chance to play an exhibition or any kind of NHL game, is a huge thrill."
Needless to say, it's a massive year for DiPietro. Expect tonight's game to be streamed live so you can see how it begins (assuming DiPietro gets some playing time).
Tonight, the fun resumes.
Other Hockey Links
- Please tell me this didn't happen: Wayne Simmonds Taunted With Bananas During Philadelphia Flyers Game - SBNation.com
- Oh, Nassau County: HockeyBuzz.com - Dee Karl - What $4 Million In County Money Can Get The Isles
- It's never too early to gawk at teenagers: McKenzie: Russian Yakupov tops pre-season Draft Rankings
Brendan Shanahan is serious about this explaining suspensions thing. Like, 10 games for Shelley serious. FanShot discussion here.
- Interesting perspective on how Christian Ehrhoff was used in Vancouver and whether they'll miss him.
If you can't watch hockey tonight, there's always tomorrow night. That must mean hockey season is near.