Wait a sec- ...that's not Bruno Gervais!
It's not the adult team but it will work for hockey-starved minds. As part of the weeklong Islanders Rookie Camp, tonight and tomorrow night the Islanders kids will play the Bruins rooks at Nassau [gloriously unsponsored] Veterans Memorial Coliseum at 7 p.m. EDT.
Mikko Koskinen will start in goal tonight -- man, it's just fun to say that phrase again -- and is expected to play the full 60. Here's what else we know (lineups, lines), and what else is going on in hockey:
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers coaches Brent Thompson and Eric Boguniecki will be behind the bench tonight.
- Jack Capuano says the Islanders older prospects need to grab the bull by the horns in this camp, and show they want to make the big club. Bonus "Breakfast Club" quote: Don't mess with the bull; you'll get the horns.
- Sticking with the Islanders site, they have a bunch of video interviews from prospect camp, including Casey Cizikas, Ryan Strome, Nino Niederreiter, Mark Katic.
- And one more, from the weekend: Strome and Niederreiter discuss life at camp for #5s.
- Ryan Strome knows he needs to prove himself at camp. That's from Newsday, but...
- ...Not On the Islanders Beat: Islanders beat writer Katie Strang has left Newsday to cover hockey for ESPN. And by "hockey" I mean "Rangers and whatever else goes through the Garden." Arthur Staple fills in at Newsday. Paging Greg Logan, paging Greg Logan...
- SNYPB's latest interview is a preview with Greg Wyshynski, the daddy of Yahoo's Puck Daddy.
- The Checking Line: Bailey's clock is ticking.
Around LHH: Sadly, the only surviving hockey player from the Lokomotiv crash has succumbed to his severe burns. This isn't a surprise, but it's still another punch to the gut. | Completely unrelated, discuss your Center Ice and GameCenter Live trade tips and ordering info. Never hurts to help a brother out with which service works best, when to order, etc.
- Discussing the curious New York Post report that the Devils have left themselves exposed to possible bankruptcy [FanShot]. If this story has legs, I look forward to the Devils joining the auto punchline menu from click-trolling columnists north of the border.
- Drew Doughty isn't making anyone nervous or anything. Not at all.
- The Short Island Smurfs have announced Ryan Callahan is their new captain. We can safely say that is a solid choice.
- Could Nikita Filatov be the next low-risk, high-reward story in the NHL? Only if he's as cool as Grabner.
Rosters/Lines for Tonight
Here are the rosters the Isles listed for tonight's first game.
New York Islanders
# Pos Player 2010-11 TEAM
1 G Mikko Koskinen Bridgeport (AHL)
45 G Anders Nilsson Lulea (SEL)
60 G Kevin Poulin Bridgeport (AHL)
8 C Ryan Strome Niagara (OHL)
24 D Calvin de Haan Oshawa (OHL)
25 LW Nino Niederreiter Portland (WHL)
33 D Benn Olson Cincinnati (ECHL)
41 C David Ullstrom Bridgeport (AHL)
46 D Matt Donovan U. Denver (NCAA)
48 D Anton Klementyev Bridgeport (AHL)
49 RW Rhett Rakhshani Bridgeport (AHL)
53 C Casey Cizikas Mississauga (OHL)
54 C Tony Romano Bridgeport (AHL)
55 D Aaron Ness Minnesota (NCAA)
56 LW John Persson Red Deer (WHL)
58 D Brenden Kichton Spokane (WHL)
59 LW Brett Gallant Bridgeport (AHL)
61 LW Mitchell Theoret Niagara (OHL)
62 RW Tyler McNeely Northeastern (NCAA)
63 D Art Bidlevskii Regina (WHL)
64 D Andrey Pedan Guelph (OHL)
71 D Mark Katic Bridgeport (AHL)
77 LW Kirill Kabanov Lewiston (QMJHL)
81 C Justin DiBenedetto Bridgeport (AHL)
Some exciting names on the B's roster below. Check Stanley Cup of Chowder for perspective from the Cup champs' side.
# Pos Player 2010-11 TEAM
70 G Michael Hitchinson Providence (AHL)
71 G Jared DeMichiel S. Carolina (ECHL)
48 D Zach McKelvie Army (NCAA)
50 RW Jared Knight London (OHL)
51 C Ryan Spooner Kingston/PBO (OHL)
53 D Dougie Hamilton Niagara (OHL)
56 D Marc Cantin Mississauga (OHL)
57 RW Yannick Riendeau Reading (ECHL)
58 F Carter Camper Miami-Ohio (NCAA)
61 LW Craig Cunningham Portland/Van (WHL)
66 RW Tyler Randell Kitchener (OHL)
75 LW Anthony Camara Saginaw (OHL)
76 C Alexander Khokhlachev Windsor (OHL)
78 D Ryan Button Seattle (WHL)
79 D David Warsofsky Boston U (NCAA)
80 C Dylan Hood Moose Jaw (WHL)
81 C Kyle MacKinnon Providence (NCAA)
82 C Adam Presizniuk Union (NCAA)
83 F Calle Ridderwall Notre Dame (NCAA)
84 LW Conor Stokes Kingston (OHL)
85 D Charlie Dodero Sudbury (OHL)
86 D Kevan Miller Vermont (NCAA)
...and they listed the Isles lines as remaining the same for the third straight day:
Rhett Rakhshani-David Ullstrom-Justin DiBenedetto
Nino Niederreiter-Ryan Strome-Tyler McNeely
Kirill Kabanov-Casey Cizikas-John Persson;
Brett Gallant-Tony Romano-Mitchell Theoret
Mark Katic-Calvin de Haan
Matt Donovan-Aaron Ness
Andrey Pedan-Art Bidlevskii
Brenden Kichton-Benn Olson
Do check back tonight for live game-threading.
Are you ready? Oh, indeed. Indeed.