"Just a bridge, sir."
One thing we learned from watching results and reactions from the Coliseum referendum vote all night long is that some hockey columnists really do only pay enough attention to form a punchline and move on to the next generalist rant. Actually paying attention to the details and history of the topic their opining on? Not in the cards. As always, it's great to take a stance on an issue; but sort of pointless to do so without reading up on the topic beyond the next columnist over.
Before we get to the rest of the spectrum of Coliseum referendum coverage, here's a bit of hockey you may have missed yesterday: Evgeni Nabokov re-iterates he's coming to camp, and calls last year something other than refusing to report to the team that holds your contract. Something about rust and how Detroit would've waited and then ... well what, exactly? Throw you in cold for the playoffs?
But you know what? Whatever. After last night, I'm in greedy asset-hoarding mode. If no trade is available before training camp, let him report, let him show his fitness, and let the chips fall. Or the trade value rise, as it were.
Still More Hockey
- More from Mike Mottau on his eye and hip. Avon’s Mottau on the NHL comeback trail - The Enterprise
- On Frolov on Avery: Alex Frolov says Russian interview misquoted him, denies saying Sean Avery used racial slurs | New York Daily News and Even allowing for an error in translation, that can't be good - Jewels From The Crown
- Interesting. Only thing I wonder is what happens if they roll back the cap in the next CBA. Higher salary cap means larger core for teams - CBSSports
On Where Islanders Hockey Will Be Played
- In which the configuration, capacity and sight lines for hockey at [English bank of some sort] Center: Talk of Brooklyn Islanders Spurred by Monday Vote But Hockey Unlikely - NetsDaily
- This from Joe Conte, before the election, is worth revisiting for possible reasons why it didn't go the Isles' way.
- Nick with a post-mortem: Let There Be Light(house): Not With a Bang, But a Whimper....
- Yep. For Isles Fans, Another Devastating Loss - Bellmore, NY Patch
- B.D. Gallof posts Jacobs' outline: BDGallof: "Exclusive... Jay Jacobs letter…" " Deck.ly
- Puck Daddy on why it isn't the end, but it isn't good either.
- Chris Botta wonders what the next move is: NASSAU VOTERS SAY NO TO COLISEUM DEALCharles Wang, you have the next move · islanderspointblank.com
- Curious choices and not much hockey, actually: Nassau Coliseum: Top five most memorable moments in it's 39-year history - Yahoo! Sports
- Pro Hockey Talk, too: Islanders arena referendum voted down by Nassau County residents; What next?
- Bit more from Wang, Garth Snow in the aftermath.
- Bruce Arthur of the National Post does do some research and addresses the topic of stadium funding in a serious tone -- but then peppers his column with an assortment of half- (at best) informed swipes and Islanders punchline. Which is lovely. Essentially, a political/development philosophy stance wrapped inside rehashed one-liners devoid of sincere context befitting that serious tone. ... So...I understand Quebec wants our team, but -- Canada is America's hat, and that part of Canada goes oui oui for poutine, amiright? But they go meh meh when Marcel Aubut needed a building, amiright? [How'd I do?]
- The Times picked up a hilariously uninformed voter quote. Striking, how many of those there have been. Nassau Voters Reject Proposal to Overhaul Coliseum - NYTimes.com
The Long Island Press report, with a few voter quotes.
- This is a few weeks old, reposted yesterday, and a bit bittersweet. But Mottau and Kevin Weekes on the three-way metro rivalry: New York Islanders - Spanning the Rivalries - New York Islanders - News
- The weather really did affect commutes and the polls, though I doubt it was enough to affect the election result. (Unless your divinity of choice really is a spiteful dick.)
- NEW: BlogBox reports from the a.m.: Eyes On Isles | Voice of NYI Fan, "You cannot defeat stupidity."
- NEW: Sporting News with obligatory "where will Isles end up" post.
- And finally, it involved money so Bloomberg even cared (the wire, not the mayor who owns the wire): New York Islanders Hockey Bond-Sale Plan Rejected by Nassau County Voters - Bloomberg
Not sure if this will bum you out or cheer you up. Probably depends on your orientation. "This is Home" Isles tribute video by "hiyaasamantha" on YouTube, which Keith has been pushing. Really picks up toward the end.