I don't know how many of you checked out the 2011 draft videos from the main site, so a few of those (one with Charles Wang and Garth Snow, another with Trent Klatt) are posted after the jump for posterity -- which is to say maybe one day, many years off, we'll look back at them and either grin or sigh at what's become of the Class of 2011.
It's way too early, obviously, but it feels like there are good odds of getting a few grins from that haul. If things go right, the annual haul will be a little less each season because the Islanders' draft slot will be later and later.
Meanwhile, it may just be me on beach time, but it feels like the whole NHL is slowing down. NHL Home Ice on XM/Sirius is playing a bunch of playoff replays, and the only kinds of "news" are signings like Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner, two guys who have something left to give but who have seen far better days. Some links are after the jump, and another report card follows later this morning.Islanders Stuff
- Now the LIA backs the Nassau areener plan: LIA backs Nassau arena plan [Newsday] Like, unanimously and stuff. [LIBN]
- So does mall cop: Kevin James on being an Islander fan Video and The Arena - VideoCenter - NY Islanders - All of the sudden I'm a fan of his work.
- And this is what you need to do to vote for (or against) the areener referendum. Deadline for postmarking absentee ballots is July 30: Absentee ballot rules and regulations - New York Islanders - Vote 'Yes' on 8/1 for the new arena
Here's a link to fliers (posters) for the vote, if'n you're in favor.
- Marty Reasoner is into the whole Islanders thing: Reasoner eager to help Isles take next step - New York Islanders
- Road to the Coliseum: Reasoner's old BC teammate Mike Mottau. Or is it BU? I forget. (I kid. I kid.)
- Radek Martinek is, by force, ready for the whole Blue Jackets thing: Jackets Sign Martinek (Puck-Rakers Blog)
- NY Islanders 7th Woman: Trevor Gillies - Ready for a New Season (video with some room onise issues, but video nonetheless)
- And if you missed it in the previous post, around here WebBard and commenters pay tribute to Radek Martinek.
- Also, by popular late-season demand, Mike has posted the Power Rankings in month-by-month format from the 2010-11 season.
The Islanders should also be posting the rosters today for the prospect scrimmages that happen next week.
Video: Wang and Snow on the Draft
Video: Klatt on the Draft with Katie Strang Questions on Various 2011 Picks
- So they were going to do an exhibition game at the football stadium in Houston, but then they realized building an ice rink in a football field is expensive: Exhibition game between Coyotes and Stars cancelled in Houston - NHL.com
- Chris Campoli is among the arbitration filings for the Blackhawks. That move has not historically gone well for the player.
- The best part of this Malkin interview is this: "To me it's nothing new. We have a lot of stray animals on the streets, this is Russia, everyone understands." I can't tell you how well this captures stuff behind the old Iron Curtain, especially in the early years after the curtain fell. (Something crappy? What's the big deal? Get used to it. Stop whining. Did I tell you how I lived through a war?)
- No really, what are the Panthers doing? I don't buy this "signing and trading" excuse, because they wouldn't sign aging guys to long contracts if that were the case. Signing and trading is Bill Guerin and Doug Weight, not half your roster for four years at a premium.
- Proposals for new NCAA hockey alignment: Proposed new conference includes CCHA, WCHA schools :: USCHO.com :: U.S. College Hockey Online
- Gary Roberts on nutrition: The Hockey News: Special Features: Gary Roberts: The importance of nutrition in hockey
- Same place (THN) on the "top 10 NHL controversies." Darcy Pucker doesn't make the list.
As always, you're welcome and encouraged to add links and discussion items in comments (and FanShots, as usual). Check back later this morning for some more more report carding.