The Stanley Cup final resumes tonight with Game 3, where we'll learn whether this is going to be a series or a formality. The Bruins are hardly out of it, but with off days come narratives about whether they "still believe." Of course the other narrative is whether Tim Thomas suddenly has to change the style that's won him a Vezina and had him lead the league with a .930 save percentage this year.
The Bruins haven't even played a home game yet. They lost Game 1 19 seconds before the end of regulation, and Game 2 required overtime. Tonight's a coin-flip, just like the rest. Here's hoping they make it a series and don't give the Canucks an easy path to their first ever Stanley Cup.
- Egad, former coach Steve Stirling had quadruple-bypass surgery. This is hockey -- couldn't it wait until after the AHL finals? Seriously though, he's said to be doing well, thankfully.
- Chris Botta gets Niagara GM Marty Williamson to discuss Ryan Strome and Dougie Hamilton, as well as a bit about Calvin de Haan and Casey Cizikas, who his team faced in the OHL playoffs.
- Did someone say NHL Draft? Minor note yesterday from TSN was that the Islanders would have Mika Zibanejad in for a visit. Here's a bit about him at the Combine from TSN, and here's our collection of profiles of Zibanejad if that name is new to you.
- LHH Mock Draft: Our mock draft here continued over the weekend with nyislanders93 selecting for Calgary at #13 and metalcoconut selecting for Dallas at #14.
NHL: Winnipeg, Draft, Etc.
- Oh, history before and history for tomorrow. What will Winnipeg do? Well:
- At GM, they're definitely trying to bring in former Isles draft pick and Chicago Wolves/Blackhawks manager Kevin Cheveldayoff. No more Dudley, whose deal will be bought out -- possibly on Atlanta
Franchise-CrusherSpirit Group's dime. Sounds like Manitoba Manifest Destiny fans like the move. Wonder if Dudley lands in Florida with pal Dale Tallon.
- As for a moniker, they are not taking my Manitoba Manifest Destiny suggestion. They have applied to trademark "Winnipeg Whiteout" -- or even just "whiteout"?! -- in Canada, but that is only for trademark-hoarding, Hockey Club from Montreal-like purposes, and not for an actual team name.
- So many Winnipeg fans want "Jets." Here's one longtime Jets fan in da mediar who says don't get upset if it's not Jets. (I'll only be upset if it's not Manitoba Manifest Destiny.)
- Tomorrow's history: The prospects are at the NHL Scouting Combine, where different teams value different things. (Some go for body type. Some don't care much about the bench press. Some are looking for Jedi powers.)
Way way in the future's history: Nathan MacKinnon is the next superhyped kid drafted by
BlakeBaie Comeau of the QMJHL. But as tends to happen these days, it's very much not clear if he'll report to his drafting club. His agent pimp"family adviser" is Pat Brisson.
- Off-season Game Plan: Buffalo Sabres. Another in the popular series.
- How could he make that call?!? Kerry Fraser says refs would love to speak to da mediar after games, but their CBA specifically bars it.
And while we're looking back at history...a video: