NHL off days during the Stanley Cup finals are made for alternative storylines to fill the gap. So you've got your Burrows bite here, your Danish love there (Jannik, not Frans) -- and plenty of hemming and hawing over the Flames losing their top prospect to Glen Sather. Plus:
- Lots of people having fun looking at the history of Isles trades, weighing what Snow has up his sleeve. [FanShot]
- Don't let Mangano be an underpants gnome. Do consider the possible numbers [FanPost]
- Draft links: Five questions with Gabriel Landeskog, who surely won't be there for the Isles at #5...right?
- ... The NHL Scouting Combine is on-going right now. A future Islander is likely having his head examined.
- ... The Isles will have a special online draft channel beginning June 20.
- ... And everybody loves Mika I'madinnerjacket.
Piling on the Flames, who are suddenly the Islanders circa 2001:
- No deal = big deal for Flames | Flames | Hockey | Calgary Sun
- Assigning Blame | FlamesNation
- Calgary: The New Edmonton | FlamesNation
Not only but also:
- Raise your hand if you thought there was any chance in MSG of Burrows being suspended. (He's not.)
- The history of NHL franchise moves since 1967 sadly does not go back far enough to cover the original Ottawa Senators' move to St. Louis (Eagles) in the early '30s.
- Just like that, the Stars will lose Brad Richards for nothing [link fixed], or at best nearly nothing. Cue the "sign him!" chants.
- You intuitively know second assists can be deceiving, but it still takes a lot of work to suss out by how much.
- The exasperating case of Colin freaking Campbell.
- QMJHL Lewiston Maineiacs dispersal draft details.
- Despite tanker aspirations, finishing last in the league means you got a while before you'll recover.
Finally, in our mock draft we've gotten through 11. I'm up next (pinch-hitting for morris), so look for that today, Bossy willing and the creek don't rise.