I don't know about you, but I found it a little rude the Canucks re-signed Kevin Bieksa so far in advance of July 1. I mean sure, the Islanders were never going to sign him (in fact, nobody was). But even the sober realists among us know that part of the way you pass hockey's summertime is by playing NHL '12 in your head. But noooo, Vancouver had to go and remove one of the few interesting names on a pretty pathetic UFA market, several days in advance.
It's the kind of disappointment that makes a man want to riot.
There's plenty more going on though, from more Phoenix angst to RFA signings that even involve the Islanders -- plus an interesting list of non-tendered RFAs.
- When I updated the Islanders' forward depth chart yesterday (defense is today), I intentionally left off Tomas Marcinko. His re-signing shows what I know.
- Didn't take long for Bruno Gervais to sign in Tampa Bay (one year, one-way, minimum). Newsday confirmed Jack Hillen did not receive a qualifying offer. (Neither did Dustin Kohn, but that was as foregone a conclusion to me as Marcink-- ...wait.)
- And of course Dwayne Roloson is on the free agent list. What an interesting case the old feller is.
- The clips of John Tavares and Matt Moulson talking about new Islander Ryan Strome. Write-up is here.
- Burnside talked to the parents of new Islander Scott Mayfield, drafted on Saturday.
Josh Bailey and Micheal Haley sign autographs tonight.
- Botta with commentary on some interesting free agents. I was interested in Fleischmann, but you have to figure if he's healthy many teams will be. I was interested in Ward -- but not because of his playoff burst, which ironically may have inflated his bargaining power too much. Still think the Islanders need a versatile "bottom six" type who's been around the block. I would nibble at any of the Hurricanes' trio of forward free agents -- and Joni Pitkanen, too.
- 7th Woman's reports from the Islanders Draft Party.
- More Jason Gregoire - Jets rumors, with LHH discussion here.
- NEW, (2011 Draft): Jess Rubenstein at Prospect Park says the Isles got nice picks, but could have done better.
- New Hall of Fame members will be announced today. I'm already tired of hearing arguments for "little ball of" cheap, Pat Verbeek.
- PGI said in comments yesterday that "no one [franchise] deserves the Muller treatment" and ain't that the truth? If Jeff Carter thought making millions of dollars on a long-term deal that had a specifically timed no-trade clause meant he wouldn't be dealt from a cap-strapped team, I am willing to offer him the same CBA course I offered to Evgeni Nabokov for $99. I'll even waive the application fee.
- That said, our favorite Columbus reporter finally got Carter on the record yesterday. It's cool, man, it's cool.
- Oh, that guy Muller? Yeah, he got a job yesterday. In the AHL.
- Speaking of strange team-player relations, I mean ... really, Ryan Smyth? I am in that subset of Islanders fans who thinks both that the 2007 gamble on enticing Smyth here was defensible, and yet the fact he didn't re-sign was a blessing in disguise. This week's developments as nailed by Quisp sure back that up. (The latter part, anyway.)
- NHL Realignment Talk, LHH FanShot Edition: Boy, you guys like this topic. A lot.
- Hockey Prospectus on the just-concluded draft: Atlantic | Northeast ... and Buzzing the Net on the "steals" of the draft, for what it's worth.
- LOL at Edmonton trying to pawn Sheldon Souray off on cap-floor chasing Florida. Nice try.
- Hulsizer pulls out of Phoenix? (Please bid on the Blues, sir.) This will not end well.
- The Blackhawks continue to toss their old Tallon parts Dale Tallon's way. Kindly send us another Grabner, sir.
Finally, free agency: Here's a good list of who was qualified and who wasn't qualified RFA offers (Rob Schremp Hockey, Anthony Stewart, Tyler Kennedy among them).