Thanks to everyone who proposed, volunteered and participated in our first-ever Lighthouse Hockey NHL Mock Draft. When it was first suggested in April by mnroy33, I was both intrigued and wary: It sounded like a lot of work, and I'm lazy.
Turns out you all gobbled it up with hardly a hitch and nary a stall. We had ebbs and flows but ultimately hammered it out in 30 days. Hopefully several of you became familiar with the ins and outs of the FanPost feature.
In the end, we had 30 picks that required justification and got us thinking. While it began before the scouting combine -- thus a lot of scouting buzz has come out in the interim -- we have a reasonable sequence to go off of and compare with how things go this weekend in St. Paul. (We'll be comparing this and other mock drafts to the real world once all is said and done.)
Here's the final list with links to who picked whom and why:
1. Edmonton - Anarcurt took the easy route with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C.
2. Colorado - mnroy33 went smart with Adam Larsson, D.
3. Florida - chrismc614 went Swede with Gabriel Landeskog, W.
4. New Jersey - nyidangle17 feared no stock-falling and took Sean Couturier, C.
5. Long Island - Fabtraption did the Dougie. Hamilton, that is, D.
6. Ottawa - OzzyFan gobbled up the late-riser Jonathan Huberdeau, LW/C.
7. Atlantapeg - WebBard goes 3-D with Ryan Murphy, D.
8. Columbus - Jones79 grabbed the closet talent Ryan Strome, C.
9. Bahston (from Toronto) - Empire39 goes dollars for donuts with Duncan Siemens, D.
10. Minnesota - risenrule selected the president of Iran, Mika Zibanejad, C.
11. Colorado (from St. Louis) - mnroy33 channels Nino with Sven Bartschi, RW.
12. Carolina - Dominik falls prey to size envy with Jamie Oleksiak, D.
13. Calgary - nyislanders93 sings Swede songs with Joel Armia, RW.
14. Dallas - metalcoconut mourns Oleksiak, consoles himself with Mark McNeill, C
15. Short Island - MetzFan22 applies Oxy to his Matt Puempel, RW
16. Buffalo - DirtyIsle dogs it with Nathan Beaulieu, D
17. Montreal - so does pgat28 with Zach Phillips C
18. Chicago - Lee F surely fancies Mark Scheifele, D
19. Edmonton - Anarcurt goes Irish with Connor Murphy, D
20. Phoenix - Turgeon1992 fears not small size in Rocco Grimaldi, F
21. Ottawa - OzzyFan thinks big with Tyler Biggs, RW
22. Anaheim - Dominik betrays Danish tendencies with Nicklas Jensen, RW
23. Pittsburgh - kfallon2 consults Mario before taking Joe Morrow, D
24. Detroit - IslesOfficial says word to your moms, he came to drop Klefboms, D
25. Toronto (from Philadelphia) - Dougtone channels his inner Burke to select Brandon Saad.
26. Washington - Pauly C says is this Russia? This isn't Russia, Alexander Khokhlachev, C.
27. Tampa Bay - Keith Quinn went wYld with Boone Jenner, C.
28. San Jose - MTBVibe says oui, oui, Phillip Danault, LW.
29. Vancouver - Nick (LTBLH) pours salt in the runner-up wound, then heals it with Jonas Brodin, D.
30. Toronto (from Boston) - Dougtone gets Superfly with Scott Mayfield, D.
Feedback on how to do this better or differently -- or even add a draft-via-community-poll option -- next year is welcome.
* Lighthouse Hockey Community 2011 NHL Mock Draft sponsored by Austin Milbarge: "We Mock What We Don't Understand"