Some of you knew I was out in the woods late last week and through the weekend. (And some of you do not occupy yourselves with my whereabouts, and for that I conjure the graciousness in my heart to forgive you.)
Anyway, I'm only now catching up on many of the comment threads I missed -- including some of the posts I penned myself and then went back to the woods hoping I didn't write something really stupid. (So much for hope...)
Point of all this is: Some of you are really funny. There was a lot of comments gone green. The only thing better than hockey is hockey and laughter. So for all your interesting hockey thoughts and good humor, I thank you.
Now here's some hockey news going on and worth chewing or joking over...
Islanders (and ex-Islanders)
- The Areener Issue: Mangano talks to Mineola Kiwanis.
- @MMoulson: picked a winning t-shirt design
- MSG: Islanders top plays of 2010-11 - New York Islanders
- 2011 Hockey Night Live Summer Ice - NY Islanders
- Islanders Draft Party: They'll have an NHL '11 tourney | Also: The first 200 to donate blood (starts at 12 p.m. at the lower box office) will get two free tickets to a weeknight game, some shwag, and more.
- Someone leaked!: The Kings and Oilers have reportedly discussed a Ryan Smyth trade at the request of Smyth in the interests of his family. (This is like a reverse Pronger, isn't it?) More analysis on that at Jewels from the Crown. You know Copper & Blue will say their piece, too.
- Maple Leafs shuffle assistant coaches; Is Ron Wilson on thin ice? | ProHockeyTalk
NHL and Gettin' Drafty with It
The Flyers and Ilya Bryzgalov may be close on a contract, but it's complicated, as always, with Philadelphia. Something that came up in one of the older threads: Where will Dwayne Roloson land, if he lands? If the Flyers weren't determined to finally spend big on a goalie savior, wouldn't Roli make a good mentor for Bob?
Winnipeg mamas, set your daughters up with ex-Thrashers -- but act quickly and don't be too puck bunny about it.
Here are 10 sleeper picks from the CP. See any you like? I didn't think Rocco was a sleeper pick but whatever.
Colorado's Greg Sherman says what every GM says this month: We would totally trade the #2 pick, but only for something really crazy, as we really expect to get a great young player with that pick.
What was I saying? Oh yeah, GM-speak... Burke: Leafs have ‘lots of lines in the water’ | National Post
Wait, what's that about GM-speak again? ..."Tambellini has quietly taken some calls about that No. 1 pick." - The Copper & Blue
If the Avs go with Gabriel Landeskog, are they taking the easy "NHL-ready now" route and making a mistake by not shooting for the highest ceiling?
Final Power Rankings
I thought this was cool: Mike (but you can call him LHH user ICanSeeForIslesAndIsles, if you're not into the whole brevity thing) has been our power rankings guy all season long. The concept was simple: Don't do rankings based on pundit temperament, but based on who's beaten whom and in what way.
Except he added a wrinkle: Power rankings came from imbalanced schedules with teams playing different teams varying numbers of times, so why not carry it through during the playoffs when you get as many as seven additional matchups between two given teams. With that tabulated, after playing twenty-five extra games, Cup-winning Boston has climbed up to the second spot.
They were never catching Vancouver, even after beating them in the final. But they did climb from fourth before the Cup final series, and from eighth when the playoffs began. They were just the 13th-best team over the final two months of the season. Here's the final tally:
|W||L||OTL||Pts||Played||Pts.%||Pts. % /Game||PWR|