I was doing some housekeeping with our on-going mock draft as played out by regulars at Lighthouse Hockey, and it occurred to me that as we get toward the end of the draft it will get harder for the remaining fantasy GMs to figure out who's no longer on the board -- and who might be falling through the cracks.
What follows is who has been selected with the first
19 22 26 28 picks, and who is yet left to pick. I'll keep updating this post as new selections are made. Thanks to everyone who is participating and keeping this moving. It's the first assigned community exercise like this that we've tried here.
Mock Draft Picks
1. Edmonton - Anarcurt chose Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C.
2. Colorado - mnroy33 chose Adam Larsson, D.
3. Florida - chrismc614 selected Gabriel Landeskog, W.
4. New Jersey - nyidangle17 chose Sean Couturier, C.
5. Long Island - Fabtraption took Dougie Hamilton, D.
6. Ottawa - OzzyFan grabs Jonathan Huberdeau, LW/C.
7. Atlantapeg - WebBard took Ryan Murphy, D.
8. Columbus - Jones79 grabbed Ryan Strome, C.
9. Bahston (from Toronto) - Empire39 went for Duncan Siemens, D.
10. Minnesota - risenrule selected Mika Zibanejad, C.
11. Colorado (from St. Louis) - mnroy33 chose Sven Bartschi, RW.
12. Carolina - Dominik selected Jamie Oleksiak, D.
13. Calgary - nyislanders93 selected Joel Armia, RW.
14. Dallas - metalcoconut selected Mark McNeill, C
15. Short Island - MetzFan22 selected Matt Puempel, RW
16. Buffalo - DirtyIsle selected Nathan Beaulieu, D
17. Montreal - pgat28 selected Zach Phillips C
18. Chicago - Lee F selected Mark Scheifele, D
19. Edmonton - Anarcurt selects Connor Murphy, D
20. Phoenix - Turgeon1992 selects Rocco Grimaldi, F
21. Ottawa - OzzyFan selects Tyler Biggs, RW
22. Anaheim - Dominik selects Nicklas Jensen, RW
23. Pittsburgh - kfallon2 consults Mario Lemieux and selects Joe Morrow, D
24. Detroit - IslesOfficial comes out of hiding to select Oscar Klefbom, D
25. Toronto (from Philadelphia) - Dougtone channels his inner Burke to select Brandon Saad.
Those links take you to each person's rationale on why they went with who they picked.
Still to Pick:
29 Vancouver [NickLTBLH]
30 Toronto (from Boston) [Dougtone]
For you draft wonks: Any big surprises you see falling through the cracks? I can think of a few I'd heard enough about to think they might be gone already, but I'm not an expert on the finer points of scouting and aggregating opinions of teenage hockey players.
One thing that's fun about these exercises is -- even when it isn't "experts" playing things out, the variance in opinion helps demonstrate how a player can "fall" or be a "reach" depending on how the other moving parts ahead of him go.
I hear Phoenix is now on the clock...
P.S. SBN hockey sites are carrying out a mock draft where the first six picks have played out the same way -- except for a swap of the top two picks. You can follow along with that one in this story stream.