I never would've expected both Eastern Conference home teams to drop the opening two games in their series, but here we are, and it's largely thanks to the old men in nets. How crazy would it be if Boston takes a 3-0 series lead on the Flyers for the second year in a row? After last night's OT win on the back of the Tim Thomas show -- and short benches for both teams -- it could happen.
Anyway, tonight is one of those wonderful doubleheader nights, with hockey going from 7 p.m. to midnight, give or take, with games geared toward both coasts. Enjoy those and these...:
All hail the Roli Show: Dwayne Roloson is in all-business mode [NYT] | He's still the playoff save% leader [G&M] ... As someone rooting for Roloson and his other ex-Isles, I'm a little worried that they play back-to-back this week; Simon Gagne might return for those ... Speaking of that series, here's an interesting note from a Bolts beatwriter about the nature of team-published quotes.
CHL: The OHL final begins tonight. Hopefully that conference trophy Casey Cizikas touched will be the first of many. | Meanwhile, Nino Niederreiter's Winterhawks are on their way to the WHL final, too. It's Portland's first trip there in 10 years.
Mock Drafts: Panthers blog Litter Box Cats takes a stab, with the NYI taking a defenseman named Dougie.
- Denis Potvin on XM Home Ice, with a quick mention of his appearance in the History Will Be Made commercial (his mother hated his beard, so he never grew it again).
- SNY Point Blank with Alexei Yashin.
Radek Martinek was released from the hospital Sunday. No neck/spine injuries, but the head injury has ended his tournament.
- Isles-centric trade deadline retrospective (leads with Goring, continues with Roli, etc.)
World Championships: Team USA and Al Montoya survived a scare against Norway. Boy, that's a young team they're skating.
- Vote in the Behind the Net fanpost contest. You don't have to vote for garik's, but...you know...Grabner love.
- Also from BtN, on home-ice advantage since 1986-87 in the first round: Home-ice advantage appears to be relatively small in the first round of the playoffs - probably smaller than during the regular season - but it also appears to be much larger when a team needs a win.
- Other league stuff: Matt Cooke got counseling while he was suspended for treating other players' careers like tissue paper. | Suggesting the Hockey Club from Montreal bury Scott Gomez in the minors. Tee hee. Glen Sather contracts just keep on giving.
Tonight, will a Canucks center finally score? Will Roli keep it going?
Parting OT thought: Seeing the news of a terrorist's death filter late at night through Bourbon Street, where people are assembled to party in the street anyway (even on a Sunday night), is something else. What a city. What a country. What a species.