Well yesterday morning was the (first of many) big rally(ies), before Nassau County legislature debated the proposed $400 million bond referendum to replace Nassau Coliseum. There is quite a bit of coverage of the rally and hearing, but one takeaway was:
"[Ed] Mangano told lawmakers that contract negotiations with [Charles] Wang are under way and that the revenue-sharing plan will be finalized by mid-June." The legislature will vote on the matter Tuesday, with a simple majority needed to place the referendum on the ballot in August.
We also had some fun talking hockey though, so links to Coliseum coverage and hockey talk are after the jump.
Coliseum Referendum / Nassau County Legislature Talk
- Newsday's main write-up. Politically, some Dems don't get why there's a special August election. But the unions -- as well as Repubs -- are clearly in favor of getting this moving quickly. Meanwhile, NIFA watches...but refused comment Tuesday.
- 7th Woman with the scene at the rally.
- Botta expects a yes Tuesday and a yes on Aug. 1. Then, as we know, more fun would ensue. (Issue goes back to the legislature, etc.)
- Official Islanders site posts: A thank you from the Islanders | A write-up of the rally | The union/business owner angle | More on the rally with shots of Snow, Wang and Goring | Legislator contact numbers
- NEW: Some good notes from the hearing on Twitter @VoteYesNYIArena, including the statement that the Isles would pay overage on the arena if/when costs go over $350 million.
- Others: CBS Local and WABC
- How 'bout that OT last night, eh? Intense. Great strategic hockey. And long. I love it. Except for the flukish ending, the silliest slow grounder OT winner you'll ever see. Which was a buzzkill after so much good hockey. (Also: So, so, so tired of the "Luuuu" chant on routine saves. Though it is funny when it's a nervous "...Luu?" on shaky saves. Oh, and while we're griping: Confetti?!?! For making it past the semifinals?!? Really? I know it's rare to get even this far, but that still seems like a premature parade.)
- We had lots of fun with this trivia quiz yesterday: Name the top 200 NHL goal scorerss of all time. If you read the comments there, you'll have some spoilers.
- It was a crazy day, so if you missed 'em 'round here: Blake Kessel is turning pro (but where?), vote for your favorite game of 2010-11 here, and get ready for Doug Weight's presser Thursday.
- Got ideas for the Matt Moulson t-shirt design contest? Let 'em rip. [He mentions it on Twitter]
- Gabe, the proprietor of Behind the Net with his infinite stats and insight, uses the handle "Hawerchuk" for a reason. If Winnipeg gets an NHL team, you'll hear more from him on that club. For now, enjoy Part II of the history of pro hockey there.
Draft, Draft, Draft!:
- If you can't get enough, here is Future Considerations' draft preview sample [PDF file with some rankings and pretty feature stories]
- The Islanders have Draft Party passes available now. [I won't be there; I'll be in St. Paul.]
- And our Lighthouse Hockey Mock Draft 2011 continues on with Ozzy picking for the Senators. Web is up next with Atlantapeg.
- Interesting FanPost from Chrismc on how he decided it's time to go with D.
Kootenay stayed alive with a win over Saint John's last night, which means Thursday Kootenay will face the winner of tonight's big MIssissauga-Owen Sound rematch. Saint John's already earned a spot in Sunday's final.
It's late May, the Islanders haven't played in over a month, and yet ... never a dull day, man. Never a dull day.
Now, did someone say rum?