Nice tie, Ed.
Not that we lacked for news to discuss yesterday, but last night was the first night of the playoffs without hockey, and that gives me a sad. Friday will be another.
Worse for me? I'll be visiting in-laws tonight who still somehow do not have Versus, which means while I feign interest in Aunt Henrieta's surgery, I'll really be wondering about a historic Game 7.
A trove of New Coliseum links, and hockey links, after the jump.
New Coliseum Links
Among the lingering questions from yesterday's presser about the new Coliseum plan: What studies/data indicates the "shared revenues" can pay off the bonds? Also, was it odd to anyone else that there was no architectural drawing, the way there often is with a big unveiling? It's enough to make me wonder what political factors are behind the timing and the details.
Anyway, on that note:
- The earliest Newsday post focused on that lack of detail.
- Newsday says NIFA (Nassau Interim Finance Authority) was caught off guard and has questions about the plan's viability. From board member George Marline: "With the county in a state of fiscal despair -- and the fact that they are laying off county employees -- to saddle taxpayers with another $400 million in debt and to spend scarce dollars on a special election in my judgment is absurd. Cash-strapped Nassau County can't afford fantasy baseball." The article pegs the cost of the debt service at $48 per year per household. NIFA's official statement is posted at Hockey Independent.
- Long Island Business News with the NIFA angle.
- Katie Strang's write-up from the Wang/Isles perspective.
- Brian Compton of nhl.com did a thorough team/player perspective.
- Arthur Staple does the Garth Snow/Isles players' perspective, saying Snow sounded "positively giddy" Wednesday. Of course they want a home with some stability.
- Here's video of Snow's reaction in the media scrum.
- The official site also does the player reaction side, as well as an overall story separate from the press release.
- Staple also does the fan on the street drill.
- Mike Francesa discussed it, trying to remember what hockey is. [audio files here]
- The Post covers the union support. (So does Patch here.) And Wang's "extreme" confidence it will get done.
- The Times added a small bit to their pre-announcement story.
- CBS Local here with audio of Peter Schwartz calling in.
- Behind the scenes of the announcement (well, one part) from Skates on a Plane.
- Maybe the Daily News covered it, or maybe you get a page not found.
- ESPN New York guests Chris Botta on the issue. And here's Botta on Home Ice audio.
- If you're wondering, LHP advocate Nick of Let There Be Light(house) is going to digest things before reacting.
- [New addition]: 7th Woman with her thoughts on the proposal and the hectic day.
'Wait, This is a Hockey Blog?' Links
IIHF: Did I tell you Czechs are perfect? They still are, knocking off the U.S. with a 4-0 win and Jaromir Jagr's first international hat trick. Not a great addition to Scott Gordon's resume -- although, come on, who dat gonna stop dem Czechs? Not the U.S.
- [Update: It seems from multiple reporter Tweets that Al Montoya did miss the final game due to injury, though it's not clear what that injury is. So at least two Islanders goalie properties go to Slovakia, none come back healthy.]
- Today's IIHF quarterfinals are grudge matches between Finland and Norway, and Canada and Russia.
- Nino Niederreiter and the Portland Winterhawks are on the verge of elimination with a 5-4 loss last night. Game 5 is Friday.
- Meanwhile, after things got ugly in Game 5 of the OHL final, Mississauga coach Dave Cameron threw a fit about the officiating Tuesday, resulting in a $2,500 OHL fine. Game 6, when Casey Cizikas and friends can become champions, is Thursday in Owen Sound.
- Chris Pronger needs surgery for a herniated disc. Good thing he's only signed for six more years on a 35+ contract (which means the $4.9M cap hit stays).
- Blueshirt Banter grades Marian Gaborik.
- Very courageous face on it, but it still tears me up to read about Brent Peterson's Parkinson's getting worst.
- No matter what happens tonight, here are the conference final schedule scenarios.
- R.I.P., Gallo.
Lot to digest. May we all get what we want. And enjoy Game 7.