On the topic of small samples: Pick the over/under here: Sean Bergenheim, who leads Tampa Bay in shots and has 7 goals in 11 games but also has a 19.4% shooting percentage, will score how many more goals in these playoffs? (His regular season shooting percentage was 7.7%, which matches his career total over 326 NHL games.)
- Because a casino is tomfoolery: "Nassau County appears to be close to working out a plan to develop the Coliseum minus a casino in a proposal that could be put to voters this summer. Two people with knowledge of the deal said a bond referendum for as much as $400 million is being contemplated, and could include redevelopment of the Coliseum and a minor-league baseball field at Mitchel Field." [Newsday] B.D. Gallof says look for some sort of announcement Wednesday.
- Eyes on the Isles reviews one Mr. Mark Eaton.
- Dee (7th Woman) in praise of the Isles booster club.
- Jeff Tambellini saw his first playoff action last night. He had 8 shifts for a total of 4:41 TOI. With Michael Samuelsson hurt, that may continue.
- Speaking of the ex-Isled, Sean Bergenheim gets his moment in the sun. Which he could use, given the pigmentation and all.
- NYIFYI on the postseason and Isles at the WC's.
Maybe the U.S. took the day off because it wasn't important, and maybe the Swiss stunned them in the final qualifying round game. The U.S. has to face the Czechs now as a result, which means my heart will tear itself asunder.
NHL Stuff (h/t to the mighty Quinn on most of these)
- It's really rude to say, "I told you so" about injuries -- especially if you root for the team with the 15-year contract. But, I mean, Chris Pronger's surgeries are piling up. And they've got a lot of 35+ cap hit committed toward him. So, I told you so.
- Pronger's health is a recent (predictable) concern. But Flyers goaltending questions are as old as the hills.
- "Is Joel Ward Making a Star Turn?" Um, no. We've been over that. He's a very good checker, but let's not start taping his stick just yet.
- Scott Brophy with a bunch of Conn Smythe candidates, two of which were eliminated last night.
- If Clark Gillies were Czech, my father would've been very impressed by his production.
- I can't believe Khabibulin will be 39 -- and not the Roloson kind of 39, either. Of course Copper & Blue wants him bought out ASAP.
- Don't you dare rip the Sedin twins. Even if they're creepy as hell. (P.S. That link is a Semi_Colon joint.)
- Holy s#$%! Daniel Tkaczuk is alive!
- The pros and cons of Ville Leino, unrestricted free agent (Dallas perspective).
Analysis of that Rangers-Coyotes trade of prospects you never heard of.
- For Canucks fans and those who like German, or at least like pronouncing German.
- Neat little Puck Daddy bit on the growth of Nashville as a hockey market. (Unless you are against all non-traditional markets, in which case I guess the story sucks and hockey should be restricted to wherever the ice cap has yet to melt.)
- I haven't listened yet, but it sounds like this Puck Daddy bit with ex-ref Paul "look at me" Stewart is a must-listen.
- And speaking of divisive former NHL refs: Kerry Fraser on the instigator rule.
In praise of our SBN network host here. (Disclosure: From a guy who used to report to the CEO.)
On that last note: As always, if you have things you like, don't like or wish were done here -- or complaints overall -- let us know in comments or via email. I'm here for selfish reasons (a fun place to talk about the Islanders), but I am supposed to make it fun for you, too.
How many more goals does Sean Bergenheim score in these playoffs? Show your work.
>3: Ain't no star shine like Bergenheim. (55 votes)
3: Luck continues, to a point. (69 votes)
<3: Enough is enough. Reality time. (85 votes)
209 total votes