Some random Islanders individual and team stats that may or may not surprise you:
- Four Islanders have pulled off three assists in a game this season. One of them is Dylan Reese. (The others: Tavares, Moulson, Nielsen.)
- Guess who's third on the team in hits, behind Matt Martin and Milan Jurcina (125)? Blake Comeau (116). Not far behind is P.A. Parenteau with 109 (Travis Hamonic in between them at 110).
- Updating The Jurcina Anomaly: 24-16-6 with Milan, 6-21-6 without him.
- John Tavares, a center with 21 hits in 77 GP, has 49 PIM. Jurcina, a defenseman with 125 hits in 46 GP, has 30 PIM.
- Tavares has six multiple-assist games. Frans Nielsen and P.A. Parenteau each have five.
Team Record Bits
- With the regulation loss to Carolina, the Islanders are currently 26-27-9 under Jack Capuano, and 24-19-7 since Dec. 15.
- Not a surprise, but: Month-by-month, the Isles' only have "winning" records in February (8-5-1) and March (7-4-4). Of course thanks to the dual-perspective of the NHL's peculiar institution of OT/shootout tiebreakers, opponents were 6-4-4 against the Isles in February and 8-5-2 against them in March. "The NHL: Where a win is a win but a loss is...complicated."
- On that note, the Islanders have an "NHL quasi-.500" record or better against every division except their own (6-12-4 in the Atlantic) and the Southeast (6-11-3). Their best record is against the Northwest (4-1-1), followed by the Northeast (10-9-0), Central (2-2-1) and Pacific (2-2-3).
- Trailing after 2 periods, the Islanders are 5-25-3. Leading after 2 periods: 19-3-5. The Islanders have lost 27 one-goal games this season, second in the league to Florida (30).
The Kids are Alright
Perhaps one of the neater signs of the times -- and something JP (VA chapter) was tracking earlier this season before any of them reached the milsestone: FIve Islanders draft picks have hit 100 points in the uniform (and career) this season: Comeau, Nielsen, Radek Martinek, Kyle Okposo and Tavares. You have to go back to names like Lachance and Palffy for the last time that happened.
Bailey's almost a lock (he said, without pr*j*ct*ng), but who do you think might emerge after that?