This was a topic here last season, so I thought I would just take a look to see where the standings would be today if the NHL adopted the 3 points for a regulation win formula. Since this is an Islanders website I am only going to focus on the East and not the West.
Here are the actual standings:
Here is what the standings would look like with the new formula
|Team||Regulation W||OT/SO W||Regulation L||OT/SO L||Points|
A couple of observations:
- Our Islanders would be in last place right now, unfortunately
- Ottawa likes their games to finish in regulation
- Atlanta appears to be the most negatively effected team by this. They are kind of in the playoff hunt now, but with the new system, they would be all but out
- The Rangers appear to be the most positively effected team by this. They only move up a spot but have a little more of a cushion over 9th.
- Overall, the standings are not really that much different with the new 3 point system. So that begs the question, is it worth if for the league to go to this system?