In this up and down season, there have been a number of regularly occurring irritations that I as a fan have experienced. For whatever it's worth, here they are:
10. Bruno Gervais on the ice...no reason to explain this further. We all see the same thing. Awful awful awful.
9. The negativity of Islanders fans...has gotten old (especially the negative failed efforts at humor seen on twitter. It should be obvious that things are looking up. Can't we enjoy it?
8. Silly trade talk. I know I know...it's part of sports. But get real people. We are not getting Parise or Weber for our number 1 pick. Look around at what has been going on. Either multiple first and second round picks or first round pick AND top prospect AND additional picks and prospects would inevitably be required (e.g. top pick, Niederreiter, Donavan and a future second)...and if you have watched Snow you know that ain't happening. Lower level players? Yes, top pick may work in a trade, but is that what we want?
7.Watching DP and knowing that he is under contract for soooo long. This one will be an albatross with no clear end.
6.Garth Snow bashing. Streit, Moulson, Grabner and to a lesser extent PAP...pretty impressive pickups. The most memorable FA signings are the bad ones, and they vastly outnumber the good ones. The lack of trades? Not sure the bashers have taken the time to think about it, but come on, the cupboard is not exactly filled with great extra assets. Despite the belief of some, packaging Gervais, Hunter, and whomever, is not a particularly appealing package. And, the Comeaus of the worl will bring back similarly flawed players, so we are not exactly in a prime trading position.
5. Drafting complaints. Since 2006 the Isles have done quite well, actually very well. In particular 08 looks like a grand slam...we even have our 6th round pick playing in the NHL right now (Spurgeon). Bailey, Hamonic, Poulin, Martin and Spurgeon in thr NHL already, with Ness, Trivino, Donavan, Petrov, Ullstrom, and even DiBenedetto still in the wings. The Isles have had a remarkable number of mid to late picks looking good. The 2008 draft is likely to be seen as one of the best single drafts ever. Just try to find one better.In any event, time to stop the nonsense about Isles drafting. Is there always going to be SOMEONE who doesn't make it and someone else who does? Of course, but look at the totality.
4. Complaints about "the 15 year rebuild." Fact, the rebuild began AFTER Smyth did not resign with us...the 08 draft was the beginning. So, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 makes three. Frustrating, yes. Slow, yes, The right way to go, ABSOLUTELY.
3. Any talk that Blake Comeau is a top 6 forward. He is not. Third line/middle six? Maybe, But when he gets third/fourth line minutes is when we will make the playoffs (if he is even with us by then).
2. Listening to, and being influenced by blogging/media types that are in no way hockey experts. Being a former PR guy or having a father who was a hockey reporter, or being a former ECHL player with a dad who was an NHL player does not make one an expert. The opinions they state are no different than ours, yet they excite and enrage the rabble.
1. And, the #1 irritation from this season....and just in time for entry draft season, fan scouting by YouTube, ISS, Hockeyfutures etc. Please please please accept and understand the limits of falling in love with possible draft choices using this approach.