A St. Louis writer has for years referred to the NHL player agent as Ritch "Nuclear" Winter, and that agent's blowhard certainty transferred to the new age of Twitter underlines the reason for that moniker. His arrogant assertions are captured succinctly in this post at mc79hockey ("we have used analytics to successfully place Marian Hossa in the finals 3 years in a row and help Hasek win 2 cups" ... ORLLY?).
But I bring that post up for another reason: The 20-game sample. It's not that teams who have a bad record after the first 20 games cannot make the playoffs, it's that teams who have a bad record after the first 20 games are probably bad. (In the same vein, it's not that a team loses when giving up the first goal; it's that a team that gives up the first goal a lot is probably the weaker team in most matchups.)
We have discussed the Islanders first-quarter record plenty, and there's a fun FanPost discussion right now with their record now compared to The Streak last year, but that mc79 post is fun because it points out that any team, including many playoff teams, can have a sub- NHL-.500 20 game stretch during any point in the season.
- Newsday: Al Montoya, at the top of the goalie heap.
- And here's Toyota's "Road to the Coliseum." That boy better play in Chicago. I like the "didn't watch TV much" bit, which I interpreted as "Old Man Wirtz never put the darn games on TV."
- The Forbes franchise value list is out, though it's fairly confusing depending how you sort it. [FanShot discussion here]
The IPB Q&A with Matt Martin.
"I’m a physical presence. I like to stick up for my teammates and I’ll fight when I need to, but I play a pretty hard game. I drive the net and crash bodies and try to make room for my linemates."
And that, in a nutshell, is why Islanders fans have anticipated the 3rd/4th liner's arrival for three years.
THW on David Ullstrom making the most of his shot.
The puck from David Ullstrom's first point.
- Download the Isles social media all-in-one toolbar thingy. Keith will tell you how it works, because I'm just a caveman, and your modern ways frighten me.
This getup is perfect for the young Islanders fan who never had a chance.
Sticking with the official site, here's the write-up on the annual holiday toy-buying extravaganza. And below is the video, which is usually a fun one and does not disappoint this year:
...features the Swiss razzing each other, and MIchael Grabner mesmerized by some toy I hope never shows up in my house. Or as LHH user DP'sknees... shared in comments last night:
1. What the hell is going on with DP’s head? The beard was kind of badass but now he just looks like a street bum. All sit and no play makes ricky a dull boy, I guess.
2. JT seems to give equally canned answers no matter what the context. He uh always gives it uh 110% no matter the situation.
3. Bailey also plays to type overthinking the toy purchases. Just buy the toy!!!
All in good holiday spirit fun, of course.
Other Hockey Links
- It didn't take Bruce Boudreau long to find a job. He replaces Randy Carlyle in Anaheim. I assume this means Bobby Ryan is staying. All of this before the firing reads rather eerily now. So does this.
- Still, here's some fun "no, really?" talk that way: Flyers unlikely to pull deal for local product Ryan
- And here's some fun media reality check at Anaheim Calling.
- Puck Daddy, on why Boudreau was the right move. (And I agree. Sounded more and more like players there needed a new general, and Boudreau should sell some tickets in Anaheim as a bonus.)
- More than you'd like to ever know about broken jaws: The Quiet Room: Want sympathy? Break your jaw! | Backhand Shelf
- We're not the only team that curiously loses players to waivers: Andreas Nodl claimed on waivers by Carolina Hurricanes - Broad Street Hockey
- You just have to read this list one item at a time, keep doing what you're doing: THN.com Top 10: Worst NHL clichés
Shenanigans in Nashville? (Or Shoalts shenanigans?)
- The goaltending controversy in Vancouver makes for great gawking.
- Rink diagrams and such: 1-2-2 Forecheck - The Copper & Blue
- Get your draft-gazing on: Russian race in December ranking - Future Considerations
- Thinking: Is there Streakiness in Even-Strength Shooting Percentage? - Arctic Ice Hockey
- ESPN thinks it has something on clutchitude. (Insider access though)
- Kevin talks headers: NHL.com - Weekes: The art of the head save - Weekes on the Web
- Maurice's note to Muller did not quote Gen. MacArthur, I assume.
That's it for the moment. The next Top 25 Under 25 will be up a little later.