That doesn't necessarily mean Nino goes Thursday against the Atlantapeg Threts, but all signs point to very soon. With John Tavares getting a rest day (along with Andrew MacDonald, in the last big gap between games for a while), Nino skated with Matt Moulson and P.A. Parenteau -- which is funny considering the Isles keep auditioning Nino to bump Parenteau off that line.
Note: Staple's write-up says Gillies was initially put on waivers before the first game of the season, but I don't think that's right, or if it is it was not recorded that way. Maybe that's where he was headed before a timely groin injury put him on IR though.
We did this last month, so let's do it again: What record to you expect from the Isles in November? And what would qualify as a success?
This Paragraph Is Longer than the Story It Links To: "The Post has been told Islanders’ general manager Garth Snow has been coy concerning the possibility of claiming the winger on waivers." About what hypothetical topic is Snow not coy? Weird leap from that to the fetching headline "Isles May Block Avery Return." For the record: Columbus, New Jersey, "may" also block the return.
- Fornabaio will have his Bridgeport chat today at 1:30 p.m. EDT.
- The Islanders' European guys really got into this crazy North American tradition of Halloween. Assuming nobody went as a sexy nurse.
- Your Islanders first line really got into this thing. Awesome.
- (Speaking of Halloween: Wow is it not a stretch for Dion Phrankeneuf to dress as Frankenstein. I mean there's nothing to add. Green paint actually makes him look less so.)
- The Sharks finally lost on their road trip, so Joe Thornton called the Rangers "soft" and said the Sharks should have won. Apparently this means they are "softer" than the Isles.
- Andy Sutton's suspension made room for Alex Plante, the last remnant of the platter of disappointment that was the Ryan Smyth trade.
- Chris Botta with Kevin Weekes on what to look for in Rick DiPietro's play and the three-way crease crowd.
- A very long lament about offense, mostly: Capellini: 20 Years Later, Islanders Still In Search Of An Offense " CBS New York
- SBN-NY: On disappointment with the Atlantic's three metro teams.
- This is the only time I will ever acknowledge "The Bachelorette": New York Islanders - 1-on-1 with J.P. Rosenbaum
- Flyers restrict, revise, revise their policy on media access to Ilya Bryzgalov. Flyers media lose their head about it but ... the story becomes about them rather than the question fans are asking.
- Your day in Shanabanning and non-Shanabanning: Mike Fisher shares his suspension-related confusion | ProHockeyTalk
- And: Kerry Fraser: Did Konopka deserve punishment for hit on Anisimov?
- The always-enjoyable 30 Thoughts, with interesting re-alignment elaboration.
- Finally, it's impolite to laugh. But this does remind me of how many nights Avs fans were obsessed with Duchene vs. JT. In contrast, the Avs are gaga over Landeskog.
Well, that's plenty for one morning then.