- The 1st Line - Signing Moulson is a must to a long term deal. It sends all the right messages to the fans and the young players in the organization. Tavares should be moved to right wing. JT is a sniper not a play maker, and he is horrible on face offs. Parenteau should be moved to the 2nd line. Having 3 goal scorers and no play makers is holding back Moulson and Tavares. Schremp and Bailey be both tried out on the 1st and 2nd line. Whoever plays better stays with the team next year as a 2nd line center the other should be used as trade bait to move up in the draft or to improve the roster for next year. The Islanders have a log jam at center but no 1st line center. Neither Bailey or Schremp are good enough for 1st line duty. Brad Richards should be our priority signing in Free Agency. He is a perfect fit for this team. 1st line center, play maker, and a veteran who knows how to win. His 2 wing mates are a 30 goal scorer and and a potential 40 goal scorer. That is a huge selling point. Whatever it takes to sign him we must do it. This line has the potential of putting up 100 goals.
- The 2nd Line - Whoever wins the competition between Bailey and Schremp should be the Islanders 2nd line center. Wingers should be Okposo and Parenteau. This line has a little bit of everything, a goal scorer in Parenteau, a player who can attack the net in Okposo, and a play maker in Schremp or Bailey. This line has the potential of putting up 60 - 65 goals next season.
By adding Brad Richards via Free Agency and Okposo playing next season we have 2 NHL caliber lines.
3. The 3rd Line - Nielsen, Grabner and Nino. Nielsen is a perfect two way center, Grabner has speed that shreds defensemen apart, and Nino attacks the net. This would ease Nino into the lineup without putting too much pressure and he has line mates with skill. Comeau like either Bailey or Schremp should be traded. Comeau is too streaky and Grabner has speed which the whole Islander Team is lacking.
4. The 4th Line - Konopka, Martin, and Hunter. Yes, Hunter. We are stuck with hunter due to his contract and no NHL team would ever take him off our hands. But put it this way if he is only playing 3 - 5 minutes a game does it really matter. Konopka is great at taking face offs and Martin does have some skill. This is not a bad 4th line overall. Again this line combination should not see the ice more than 3-5 minutes a game. We can keep Gilles as our healthy scratch and switch him with Hunter when we need the extra muscle.
5. Defense - Streit, MacDonald, Jurcina, Hamonic, DeHaan, and Wishart should be the Islanders Defensemen. Martinek can be our healthy scratch and used when somebody gets hurt or if Wishart does not pan out. This would give the Islanders 4 skilled defensemen and 2 stay at home defensemen. Mottau and Eaton should be used as trade bait. Hillen or Gervais should be just let go nobody is going to take either player and neither one should ever play for the Islanders next season.
6. Goalies - Poulin and DiPietro/Koskinen should be our goalies. We all know DiPietro is going to get hurt again but we are stuck with him due to his contract. We have also found out Lawson is not a NHL goalie so we have to give Koskinen a shot at being Poulin's backup.