Only 36 hours before, if last year can be repeated, the Coliseum leaps to its feet for a beloved rookie's first NHL goal. (Hey, we can hope it follows the script, can't we?)
Stay tuned for what I think is a really fun season preview -- roundtable style -- later today. So check back 'round midday for references to Gran Torino and The Office's one and only "Creed." Oh, plus hockey talk.
For now, links and a special vintage Steve Thomas video after the jump:
- Are the Islanders having trouble selling out Opening Night? Bunch of hints yes (discounts here, Botta post there), but the upshot is you can get yourself a deal if you can make it. If you guys don't sell it out I will be a sad panda.
- Andrew MacDonald, offensive defenseman and Student Of Streit [official site]
- CBSNY did an Isles preview.
- Fornabaio had a Bridgeport camp update, with lines. [Soundin' Off]
Michael Grabner talked to Newsday's [$5 please] Katie Strang about why he was cut and how he can stay.
- Stat man Eric Hornick with a post at the official site, with trivia like: 23 of the last 24 home openers have been on a Saturday.
- Are the Islanders in a franchise mid-life crisis? [The Rivalry]
- Free Wi-Fi: Why is this normally avoided-by-me sponsorship article important to me? Because it means you can more easily comment on our Lighthouse Hockey game threads even while you're inside the Coliseum.
- Ready for hockey? Here's SBN's opening weekend viewing guide.
- The Habs lost their opener to Toronto 3-2. If Mike Cammalleri is as important as he thinks he is, maybe he could have used his stick to play hockey and not get suspended for that game.
Finally, in honor of some proper white "home" (they'll always be home to me) jerseys returning, here's Stumpy in a prior incarnation:
That's all for now but do come back in a few for the roundtable. Meanwhile...going to any games this weekend?