I'm not one of them forensics folk that they have on the T-V, but it sure looks to me like Trevor Gillies was here.
I'm not going to pretend I watched a game that was not available on the TV network (or any network) that is asking hockey fans to complain to Dish about dropping that network and its...Islanders coverage that did not exist last night.
But some listened or saw it in person, so links to their coverage and thoughts of the Isles' 4-3 loss in Newark, as well as the Mottau-Nielsen apology, are after the jump. General weekend outlook is in the previous thread.Everyone Loves Mottau
Mike Mottau apologized to Frans Nielsen, Frans said it's in the past, and everyone and their brother says Mottau is a character guy. I don't make the call, I just relay it. (I still want my pound of flesh.)
Devils-Islanders, Part I
- NHL.com game recap had quotes from Moulson and Weight, the Islanders' multiple-point collectors.
- The official site had quotes from Gordon pleased with Weight but not pleased with the overall offense.
- NJ.com: Game recap | Focus on Matt Corrente, the guy Trevor Gillies beat up last night | Focus on Dean McAmmond, the ex-Devil and -Islander who's trying to earn a contract
- Fire & Ice: The Devils will be sending their kids to the Coliseum for the rematch Saturday night. Brodeur won't even make the trip. | The cap decision cometh, and Bryce Salvador's concussion doesn't quite solve it.
- Matt Moulson scored twice, Doug Weight assisted twice (Calvin de Haan got a helper), and Jesse Joensuu scored early on what Katie Strang described as a nifty backhand move. Her Twitter stream has a nice play-by-play.
- Also from Strang: Rob Schremp left the game with back spasms.
- Listening by radio, In Lou We Trust had a rather detailed play-by-play. And a Devils-focused recap later.
- With the NHL having a "game" in Quebec City Saturday night, all the talk is of them getting a team there. Too bad for them, the Isles aren't for sale. They're planning a huge rally though -- and dude! That's Marian Stastny! Growing up in the household of a defector from Czechoslovakia, I was required to revere all Stastnys. I have two Peter Stastny jerseys and you better believe I considered getting an Anton or a Marian. Still can't have my team though.
- A look at the Canadiens' bubble players before their loss to the Sabres a couple of nights ago.
- Chris Botta posts the expected lineups heading to Quebec and staying at home, and it's not a banner roster for the Nordiques fans. The group heading north includes Nino Niederreiter, Joensuu, Jon Sim, McAmmond, David Ullstrom and Justin DiBenedetto among the forwards. Defense includes Travis Hamonic, Jack Hillen and Bruno Gervais. Goalies are Mikko Koskinen and Manny Legace.
- Meanwhile, on that "staying home" lineup is everyone else you'd expect on the season-opening 23-man roster plus de Haan and Andy Hilbert (and minus Matt Martin, in a boot). I refuse to read into anything, but hmmm...
We're almost there, people. Real Islanders hockey is just around the corner.