I don't want to say I predicted this, but ... check out the second option in the poll attached to this post.
I haven't come across anyone who thought Joey MacDonald performed better than Yann Danis last season in the Islanders net (certainly I didn't). Of course, MacDonald did backstop the Islanders at their most injured and mixed up, and there was MacDonald's fairly impressive November, plus his stellar (and crossbar-lucky -- but aren't they always?) shutout in Detroit.
Now, after the Maple Leafs waited so long this summer to decide on Justin Pogge, they've (reportedly) elected to sign MacDonald as their #3. Danis, who signed with the Devils, was on the market a while and would have been a better choice had they acted sooner. He may also have preferred to stay closer to last year's "home" and get a better chance at NHL pay (if not much NHL play) backing up Martin Brodeur.
- Whole lotta Pogge (and a bit of MacDonald) links via Pension Plan Puppets.
- The Patrick Kane "20 Cent" incident. [From the Rink] All that money his family spent to build an elite hockey player, yet they apparently went cheap on the head. If the situation is as alleged: Violence, entitlement and stiffing service people is not simply "boys will be boys" in my book.
- The path is set for divorce in Tampa Bay. [TSN] [St. Pete Times] I'm sad for Bolts fans, not sad for their owners.
- The Alexei Cherepanov story is not over yet. The investigation is being re-opened (again). There has been funny business every time this case condemned (then cleared) officials who might have known about the former Rangers prospect's condition and any drugs he was taking to counter it. (Not that funny business ever happens in Russia. Nope. "Is this Russia? This isn't Russia, Danny.")
- Finally, turning back toward the Island, Doug had an epic post and photo stream rounding up the Lighthouse situation after last week's events. [NYI Official's Outlook]