Good morning, and Happy Free Agency Hangover! Didn't get what you wanted for the Islanders? Don't worry. To join the Islanders, native Mike Komisarek would have become their highest paid player for a long time. Signings like that for defensive defensemen are often found to be ... unsound. I think we get a little too amped on July 1, because it's like a candy store: I want, I want, I want -- and charge it! But there's something to said for a GM who doesn't burn money like some such Sather.
Of course, the Islanders will have to add someone else to hit the cap floor, but remember this: Rookie bonuses -- regardless of whether they're reached -- count against the cap. Steve Stamkos, last year's #1 pick, had a $3.725 million cap hit.
In the meantime, there are signings to review -- $406 million worth of them! -- and escapees to mourn. Thanks to everybody for chiming in with a good variety of opinions in yesterday's threads; talking hockey shop and debating the merits -- that's good times. A review of yesterday's biggest signings and Islanders fan reactions begins here and continues after the jump.
- Q: How big of a tool is no-trade trade-me Dany Heatley? A: An even bigger tool than he was the day before. You know what they used to say about types like him? "He couldn't pour water out of a boot with the directions written on the heel." Ah, but Dan(n)y is the victim.
That does it for yesterday's late movers -- if you were tuned in yesterday afternoon you know the rest. If not, check the full listing at From the Rink -- there were a ton. Now, on to the rounds of Islanders bloggers...
Islanders News and Fan Reactions
- Dwayne Roloson makes no bones about it: He took the money. Something refreshing in saying that. [Newsday]
- Roloson reactions: Fine solution [Islanders Outsider], initial dismay [IslesOfficial'sOutlook], inferring this means DP is not ready [IslandersIndependent], reservation at the age [Islesblogger]
- Apparently, the Islanders were never going to get Chris Neil, who took less to stay put.
- Travis Moen's agent says to expect a call, though. [On the Islanders Beat]
- Continuing to beat the drum for an enforcer, to fix the "joke." [IslandersPointBlank]