If you're a veeerry early bird, there was some site maintenance due this a.m. that may have made the site inaccesible. But at the other side of the tinkering window, some great new SBN features are around the bend.
Links around Hockey
- The Devils choked last night at the Garden, and In Lou We Trust is suitably disgusted. What amazed me: David Clarkson's antics managed to make Sean Avery look reasonable. That's no easy task, son, but you did it. (Do take the related poll below.)
- The Devils' struggles puts the 2nd seed in the sights of tomorrow's opponent. The Caps have lacked "focus" lately, but Japers' Rink says one young star, Nicklas Backstrom, is steady as they come.
- A reflection on the rise of Bemidji State from ... The Wall Street Journal?!
- This is a few weeks old, but I found it interesting: A Q&A with the manager of Wings blog Winging it in Motown about female sports fans. Looking forward to the day a fan is noticed by wit or passion, not gender. True story: When wooing Mrs. Lighthouse (a hockey fan of some merit), one of my pathetic excuses to approach her was to bring news of a Pierre Turgeon transaction (I'll save which Pete transaction for my memoirs). Not Patton-level tactics -- more Montgomery, actually. But hey, I lived to taste victory.
- Forgot to link to this yesterday, but the Stars are done, their fans booed them (or maybe the refs), and Brandon at Defending Big D had a lecture about it.
- A humorous take on Brian Burke
trying tolooking into sue(ing) the hilarious "Brian Burke" on Twitter. [via Puck Daddy]
Links around our Playoff-Unattached Club
- Newsday's randomly scheduled Islanders Insider features Joel Rechlicz, Detroit, Mark Streit's omniscience (through a Bruno story), and Doug Weight.
- Yeah, yeah, make your "playoffs at the Coliseum?" jokes. I like Jack Hillen's attitude about it.
- It's amazing what passes for an exclusive these days. Yawn. [NY Daily News on Wang/Queens]
- And finally, Chris Botta with one more scout touting Hedman.