So the Islanders blew their shot at playing playoff spoilers. They get another chance tonight, hosting the Hurricanes -- five points out of eighth, trying to climb back in -- and they'll have one more crack at wounding the Rangers March 5 at home.
If Yann Danis doesn't let that Gomez flubber in, who knows what happens? Since the Islanders couldn't manage another goal, probably just another shootout where no one is a loser because the people demand a winner. Sean Bergenheim's knee is hurting after the idiotic knee-to-knee hit by Rangers minor league D-man Eric Reitz, who courageously let little Petr Prucha do his fighting for him. Nice.
- The Rangers "got lucky." No argument. These two teams seem like the goal-less draw type. [NY Daily News]
- The Islanders "competed." Again, no argument. They just didn't score. [Newsday]
- No really, the Rangers got lucky. Stick with the narrative! [Newsday/Zipay]
- The Rangers had a pulse, they were "into it," said Drury. As was the little-used Prucha, the object of some Isles fans' desire. [NYT]
Lundqvist: "Felt weird to go into the third period with a lead." [NY Post]
- Streit enjoying Long Island, talking about how the Rangers jumped the gun and ended up with Redden. Ha! [NY Daily News]
- Did someone mention Redden and Streit? About that going for the "bigger" name for more money... [Newsday]
- Rangers fans are understandably happy with Prucha and wish management would be, too. [Hockey Rodent | Scotty Hockey]
More on tonight's match later.