Islanders four-game win streak: Celebration, small-sample factoids, and links galore follow. (Also: If you have feedback on the site's visual refresh, reply in comments. Some of the tweaks are still being worked out, but any feedback helps.)
* As noted virtually everywhere, it was Brendan Witt's first two-goal game (thank you, Nikolai Khabibulin) and his first goal in 92 games, dating back to January 22, 2008. (Said Witt during the in-arena post-game, about the prospect of a hat trick: "I could[n't] care less." I do know this: Witt definitely wouldn't have had a two-goal game had he not regrown The Hair. [His hilarious interview is after the jump in this post; game highlights have been added to the recap]
* As WebBard pointed out last night and looked up this morning, the Islanders are 5-1-2 since Jeff Tambellini and Frans Nielsen returned to the lineup. I will accept all your Tambo love if you grant that Nielsen is the finest Dane that you ever did see.
* Last time the Isles won four in a row (Jan.-Feb. 2009), they beat a struggling Ducks team, plus the Thrashers (5-4, after nearly blowing a 4-0 lead), Panthers and Lightning, by a combined score of 13-7. During this streak, they've beaten the Rangers, Capitals, Sabres and Oilers by a combined score of 15-5.
* Want to get this party started? Eric at Forever1940 notes this is the fewest losses after 14 games since the 11-1-1-1 start of 2001-02, back when Chris Osgood was a strength and not a liability. Ready to turn it up to 11? "The Isles have made the playoffs in every season that they had four or fewer losses in the first 14 games." (loser-point caveat granted)
* Surreal quote of the night goes to Scott Gordon: "It feels good. We talked before the game about being able to handle success and how to handle it. We talked about what gives you success and not to stray from it." Yes, an Islanders coach just said that. Suck it, haters.
- Post recap: Weight says it's a similar start to last year, but with a whole different attitude. (I liberally interpret that to mean: "No Mr. Duff sulking, Jon Sim knows his place, no DiPietro injury distraction, and no Chris Campoli wondering why Streit and Weight are on the powerplay points ahead of him.")
- NY Sports Day recap: Witt and Weight on not straying from what's working.
- Eric's deeper stat trick, noting five consecutive Islanders victories over the Oilers at our Coliseum.
- Christine was so stunned to hear Witt score twice, she scared her recuperating dog. [OntheNYIslesScene] At my house, my wife took credit for the four-game win streak ("They responded to my tough love," she said). My dogs remain unmoved.
- Botta's +/- included thoughts on Tavares from Pat Quinn, who does not share John Tortorella's belief that it's not his job as an NHL club employee to discuss NHL players.
- Okposo Net in two words: Feeling good.
- Oilers fan reactions at Copper & Blue: That was awful. Also: The loss may have cost them Horcoff. Ye gods.
7th Woman couldn't get near the star of the night in post-game, but the video is pretty funny -- and testy:
And finally: Newsday also had a game story. That'll be $5 please.