Despite nearly blowing a 4-0 lead in the third -- something that necessarily calls to mind early-season collapses -- the Islanders got what
I wanted they wanted out of last night's 5-4 win in Atlanta: A demonstration that the kids are alright.
Are they ever. Powered by Kyle Okposo's two goals, Josh Bailey's pretty passing, and Blake Comeau's guided motor, the Islanders withstood a comeback and even punched back -- with that Kid Line [better nickname pending] leading the way. Great to see Trent Hunter and Doug Weight back and scoring, too. Now about that lead...
You had to feel for Yann Danis, the recipient of tough love from Scott Gordon. Last time Danis gave up three third-period goals, he didn't see NHL game action for an eternity. His look of relief at the final buzzer was telling, but the smiles on the kids' faces reminded us why we love this silly game.
Blade Splinters-ish Recap -- from around the Island:
- Gordon was ti-icked that Logan brought up the collapse: "I'm not talking about it. ... Five points in three games. That's what we'll talk about." Snap! Logan says it was only the precursor to asking how the kids saved the day. I love that he just reports it like this; they're grown-ups, they can handle a tiff; might as well say how the post-game went down: Awwwk-waaaard.
- NYI Fan Central says that's why we need more than one beat reporter. Alas, times have changed. I'd happily Webcam questions in if they'd take 'em!
- Islanders Outsider had an immediate recap, with some great points on why this was good -- even for the Pro-Tanking crowd.
The Rivalry is torn by the good-news, bad-news of the performance: "Tonight's game was hell."
- Not Your Average Ice Girl covers it with Twitter-like brevity.
- 7th Woman: "Holy crap! Who are those guys?"
That's what I saw skimming the blogroll and the great Yes! Islanders feed at a silly hour while doing other, actually employment-based work. As always, feel free to add other links in comments. [Inner self: You wouldn't be doing real work at that hour if you didn't let hockey--Stop it! Just stop it!]
Hockey Night on Long Island
Finally, yours truly will be a guest Saturday, 3:30 EST -- dialing in from the Official Lighthouse Bunker -- on Hockey Night on Long Island, when we'll discuss all the wild news buzzing around the Islanders. Also on the show: Don (Whale4ever), who runs the hilarious Panthers blog Litter Box Cats. I'm looking forward to it almost as much as a cat-litter headline after the Isles beat the Panthers that night. (What's this?! Two wins and suddenly hubris?! Against the hot club that just trounced zee Canadiens?).
Be warned: While I have a face for radio, I also have a voice for Morse Code. Direct link to the show will be up later.